Occupation: Beach bum, Writer
Current location: Naples, Florida
Some of my favorites:
Singers: Hank, Holly, Patsy, Piaf, Ray (I Say), Dylan (pre-1967) and The Boss
Books: Catcher in the Rye, The Prophet, We the Living, Still Life with Woodpecker, By-Line: Ernest Hemingway
Movies: Casablanca (whose isn’t), A Summer Place, Top Gun, Splendor in the Grass, Rebel Without a Cause (I wore levis, a white tee shirt, and a red jacket with the collar turned up to school everyday for six months after I saw that movie!)
25 THINGS YOU MAY NOT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT VAL
- Name on my birth certificate is Clay LaValle Sharp, Jr.
- I often receive mail addressed to Ms. Val Sharp.
- I delight in confusing airlines, immigration, banks, credit card companies, brokerage firms, and DMVs with variations of my name.
- I wear boxers; not briefs.
- I like vodka martinis, scotch and soda, and white wine.
- I don’t like to cook.
- I worship sun, surf, salt water and endless beaches.
- I love the sound of hard tropical rain at night on a flat tin roof.
- I don’t like ice and snow.
- I’m a night person. Never shower in the morning.
- I’m loyal to one sports team: St. Louis Cardinals.
- I like my own space…and corn dogs with mustard.
- I like road houses and honky tonks.
- I also like ballet.
- I never learned to drive a car with an automatic transmission.
- I was last person in my business to have a computer.
- I’ve never been officially arrested. But I’ve seen the inside of a cell a couple of times.
- I graduated from Annapolis. I don’t know how or why.
- I’d like to challenge John McCain to an “over the wall” contest.
- I love being flat on my back, upside down in an aerobatic glider.
- I quit discussing and debating religion when I was 19.
- I loved my sweet, gentle shepherd, Riva. She went to sleep in November, 2013.
- I’ve been married forever…and ever…and ever.
- I love my wife, Christina. But a warning to all: half-French, half-Swiss German is a combustible mixture.
- I’m most proud of my progeny: daughter and son raising 5 beautiful granddaughters!